9.28.2005

Banking and Churching

Ben and I went to visit Gabe (old roomate) in Chicago last weekend. He's playing guitar for the worship band at Harvest Bible Chapel. It happened to be their 17th anniversary service, so we decided to check it out.

Harvest is a multi-site church -- meaning it's one church with multiple geographic locations. Growing up in a very small church, this was a hard concept for me to wrap my mind around. Then I remembered that I bank at CEFCU. CEFCU has one main office, but I can go to any of their locations to get my money. Hmm ... I kind of like the concept.

It all began when huge "mega-churches" realized that their attenders were driving too far -- sometimes an hour to attend their services. So, they created "satellite churches." It's a rapidly growing movement. I read today that there are 1,000 multi-site churches throughout the United States.

It's late, and I'm tired, so I'm not going to have time to process all of this. But I wonder aloud right now if we're getting closer (and we're still not even close) to what Jesus intended for the Church (big "C"). One body, many parts. One unified Church, many locations. One Church. Your thoughts please ...

jdb

"...So they can be one heart and mind, as we are one heart and mind ... Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you, so they might be one heart and mind with us."

~Jesus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

K, so this is kinda mean, but i've been laughing inside all day at the thought that Jake Bland - biggest blog basher in the world - is now forced to maintain his very own blog.

*everything comes back to you*

Right now