10.14.2005

Day 6 // Guilty as Charged, Saved by Grace

If you're just joining me, I'm taking 10 days (I think) to study Ephesians - a letter written by Paul in the Bible. Today, we arrive at a part in the letter that actually got me started on this whole Ephesians kick, the end of Ch 4 and the beginning of 5.

I read this stuff a few weeks ago on my way home from Chicago. It jumped right off the page, and spoke to my heart. If you want, read 4:29 through 5:20.
Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit or himself. Don't take such a gift for granted. (4:30)
I know that sometimes I break God's heart. He just wants me to love Him with all of my heart - to give Him 100% of me - but so often I don't. Sometimes I deliberately and intentionally take God for granted. Other times, I do it unintentionally. Tonight, it breaks my heart just to think about it.

Paul tells the Jesus-followers to:
  • Watch the way we talk. "Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk" (4:31). Scrap the gossip, and finding faults in others. He says our language is "thanksgiving."
  • Be gentle with one another, sensitive.
  • "Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you." Whoa, still working on this one.
  • Remove lust, promiscuity, greed, gossip, too much drinking. It's a downhill slide.
If these bullets were law, and if I was in court - I'd be guilty. Before God, I'm guilty. Luckily, Jesus showed up and radically saved me from being charged. Praise Jesus, I've been aquitted. The price has been paid!

A Prayer: Jesus, you saved me because I couldn't live up to these standards on my own. Now that I've found You, help me hit the mark. I still fall short. Cause me to depend on You more and more every day - so that I become more like You.

No comments:

Right now