10.14.2005

Day 6 // Guilty as Charged, Saved by Grace

If you're just joining me, I'm taking 10 days (I think) to study Ephesians - a letter written by Paul in the Bible. Today, we arrive at a part in the letter that actually got me started on this whole Ephesians kick, the end of Ch 4 and the beginning of 5.

I read this stuff a few weeks ago on my way home from Chicago. It jumped right off the page, and spoke to my heart. If you want, read 4:29 through 5:20.
Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit or himself. Don't take such a gift for granted. (4:30)
I know that sometimes I break God's heart. He just wants me to love Him with all of my heart - to give Him 100% of me - but so often I don't. Sometimes I deliberately and intentionally take God for granted. Other times, I do it unintentionally. Tonight, it breaks my heart just to think about it.

Paul tells the Jesus-followers to:
  • Watch the way we talk. "Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk" (4:31). Scrap the gossip, and finding faults in others. He says our language is "thanksgiving."
  • Be gentle with one another, sensitive.
  • "Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you." Whoa, still working on this one.
  • Remove lust, promiscuity, greed, gossip, too much drinking. It's a downhill slide.
If these bullets were law, and if I was in court - I'd be guilty. Before God, I'm guilty. Luckily, Jesus showed up and radically saved me from being charged. Praise Jesus, I've been aquitted. The price has been paid!

A Prayer: Jesus, you saved me because I couldn't live up to these standards on my own. Now that I've found You, help me hit the mark. I still fall short. Cause me to depend on You more and more every day - so that I become more like You.

1 comment:

justice is next to godliness said...

is it possible that the entire letter of Ephesians is written to be understood in the context of marriage? read what you just wrote and think about it...

Right now