12.19.2006

Silence and Solitute

Today was a big day at the apartment on Elmwood. For the first time in 5 years, I have my own bedroom. I got home from work at about 5:30, and the guys and I immediately began moving our junk around. It's 12:41, and we're still not done, but calling it quits for the night.

I'm really pumped about having my own room. I'm thrilled to have a place to retreat to, where I can close the door and relax - nap - eat - sleep - read - whatever. This "retreat space" has been missing for 5 years, and the need is becoming obvious.

We read in Luke's gospel that "Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. At times He withdrew with His disciples and other times He withdrew alone.” I have vivid imagery in my mind of Jesus speaking to thousands, all the while nudging Peter to "go get the boat" so they could retreat for rest and restoration.

Psalm 46:10 instructs us to
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

Today I am thankful ... for this new space ... to be still in, and call home.

No comments:

Right now